FREE Classical Christmas Concerts

Are you already getting a little weary of "Jingle Bells" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" this season? I don't blame you, I can usually listen to KOST 103.5 for about 20 minutes before I start hearing repeat songs and make my own playlist instead. The good news is there's actually a huge wealth of holiday music out there besides the radio favorites. 

Last year, I actually attended my first Sing-along Messiah (pictured). I was nervous, but guys, it was really fun! It was a great way to put my sight singing into practice (a bit rusty, hadn't done that in a while!) and participate in bringing a 275 year old piece of music to life again. Now, you don't have to sing if you don't want to, you can just watch and enjoy, but I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot. Just stand next to someone who looks like they know what they're doing and sing whatever they sing. 

So, if you'd like to enjoy some classical Christmas music this season, today I'm sharing about a couple FREE concerts in the area this week.

Candlelight & Carols 

When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 13.
Where: Pasadena Presbyterian Church, 585 E. Colorado Blvd.
Program: Timothy Howard conducts all of the church’s choral ensembles, a handbell choir and the Friends of Music Orchestra in the 70th anniversary of the church’s “Candlelight and Carols” concert. Audience caroling is included.
Admission: Free, with donations accepted.
Information: 626-793-2191, www.ppcmusic.org

Sing-Along Messiah

When: 6 p.m. Dec. 14.
Where: Lake Avenue Church, 393 N. Lake Ave., Pasadena.
Program: Duane Funderburk leads the audience and church choir as they sing Handel’s oratorio.
Admission: Free, with donations accepted. Scores available for rent or purchase.
Information: 626-844-4700, www.lakeave.org

A Messiah Sing-along is when the audience participates in singing Handel's oratorio along with a choir & conductor. And there's a lot more to this masterful musical work than the Hallelujah chorus. My pro-tip is if you don't want to pay to use the score, come prepared with it downloaded it onto a tablet. The music is public domain, so you can find the pdf on IMSLP here. (I say tablet because you want to be able to see the notes, but if you're phone is large enough, go for it). For those of you who have high school students in choir, this can be a terrific way to put some of what they're learning into practice outside of the choir room.

And if you are able attend any of these events, or find any of your own special encounters with music this season, let me know! I'd love to hear about it.