In Loving Memory

Earlier this month, my grandma Britta passed away. From her I get my stubborn Swedish streak, my love for the ocean and piano (and my piano itself!) along with boxes and boxes of sheet music.
One of the things that both my mom and I remember her saying is, "If you're going to do something, do it right!" Pretty good advice, don't you think?

In recent weeks, my way of honoring and remembering who she was, and how she lives on in me has been through music . . . pieces like "Moon River," "Autumn Leaves," "This Love of Mine" and other greats from my grandparent's collections keep finding their way onto my music stand and into my fingers. My grandma loved playing these pieces. . . Old jazz standards have a way of taking on a life of their own if you just let them go a little bit. I feel these pieces are truly every bit as timeless as anything by Mozart or Bach. But perhaps that's because I've always been a bit nostalgic for the big band era . . .

Here is a little taste of one of the tunes that keeps working its way into my piano time . . . Enjoy.
This one's for you, Grandma.