Podcast Interviews

During the month of July, I was invited to participate in two different podcasts. In today's post, I'm sharing a little of my personal professional journey, and my excitement with you about each these opportunities.

Any who've followed the blog recently will know that this has been a very transitional year with my move & re-imagining my studio to incorporate both online & group lessons. The support from the piano teaching community at large has been terrific, and I was so happy to be able to return the favor in giving to these two interviews.

The first conversation I had was with the Piano Parent Podcast, which you've all heard about from me before. I LOVE what Shelly does with this podcast in seeking to equip & encourage parents through the ups and downs of piano study. If you haven't already checked out this podcast, I highly recommend it. And if you'd like to hear the 'Teacher Chat' episode that featured myself, Becki Laurent & our host Shelly Davis, you can give it a listen here. We discussed the importance of practicing within the first 24 hours of lessons, the scientific research behind the 'Forgetting Curve' that supports this, and some practice tips & tricks. And if you missed my earlier episodes with this podcast, those episodes are still available too. The first was a teacher interview & the second a list of recommended reading books to supplement music study. But don't stop there! There are over 100 episodes in the archive of this podcast that cover so many topics relevant to piano study & supporting your child through the journey.

The second interview that I gave was with Tim Topham of the Creative Piano Teaching Podcast. Now this is more of an industry specific podcast that equips piano teachers to use creative methods in their studios, & to stay curious in their own right as teachers and musicians. Tim asked me to come on the show and share some of the ways I use Instagram for the studio. That episode is available here.

For those outside of the piano teaching world this may not sound like a big deal, it's just another podcast. But, friends, I was THRILLED when I received the email from Tim asking me come on the show out of the blue. I may have even fan-girled a little bit. Because this guy is a bit of a piano teaching celebrity who is asked to speak at conferences all over the world. I started listening to his podcast a few years ago, and it was such a breath of fresh air for me. I had been teaching with creative methods, using pop music & gamification for a few years. I was assembling my own resources along the way, but I felt a little alone in that journey. I didn't know many other teachers who were doing these kinds of things. And then I tuned into this podcast, and every week, Tim had another teacher, composer, software developer, music publisher, you name it, on the show who was talking about how creative methods were reshaping the piano industry. I had finally found my tribe, and I continued to get new ideas to incorporate into my teaching. Fast-forward to this year, when I get to share one of my own piano business tricks with other teachers, and it's a pretty great feeling.

If you actually read this far, thank you for letting me nerd out and share my personal excitement with you. I am looking forward to what the future holds for students in my studio & for the piano teaching community.