What's on My Music Stand?

Hello all! This month has been busy with settling in and getting the new studio space set up. If you've been following the blog, you will know we had our open house last week & summer session starts up next week. So during this quiet lull amid all the excitement, it seemed like a nice time to share some of the music I've been playing as I'm reaquainting myself with my piano:

All Beautiful & Splendid Things by Barbara Arens
This is a collection of 13 pieces for piano based on poems penned by women. I ordered the book shortly before our move & packed it away without having the chance to play it. I finally was able to play through it the day the piano was delivered. All are lovely, easy to play, intermediate solos, and would be great for intermediate teen & adult students.

Satie - 3 Gymnopedies & 3 Gnossiennes
I find Satie very relaxing to play, particularly this collection. The pieces are both light & airy while being moody & at times dark. I enjoyed pulling this collection out during a day of severe weather warnings & thunderstorms.

Bach - Two Part Inventions
It's been at least 15 years since I played through these for my own sake, and not because a student was working on one of them. I've had fun playing through the inventions, and getting a light technical workout in the process.

Misty Mountains, arr. by Kyle Landry
Landry has become one of my favorite arrangers of soundtrack music. (If you attended the recital, you may have heard me play his arrangement of God Help the Outcasts from Hunchback of Notre Dame). Part of this may be because his catalog of arrangements is very in line with my own geeky interests, but I think a larger part is due to the quality of the arrangements themselves. They combine the dynamic qualities of the original soundtracks with classical pianistic elements to create piano solos that I find incredibly enjoyable to play. This is the latest of his arrangements that I've purchased.

And that's a little bit of what I've been playing over the break. I'd love to hear what's been on your music stand these past few weeks. Share a comment on the Facebook or Instagram posts!