What's on My Music Stand?

Any other Stephen Universe fans out there? Kevin and I really enjoyed watching the first 3 seasons of this show together once it popped up on Hulu, and by about the third episode my fingers were positively itching to play through the end credit theme. One of the things that I really enjoy about Rebecca Sugar's shows (Adventure Time, Stephen Universe etc.) is how they incorporate music. Music that is spontaneous, simple, heartfelt and catchy. But by their nature, these songs are often better suited to ukulele or guitar accompanying vocals, so this was one of the first times I heard the potential for a real piano solo I would really enjoy playing.

http://www.vromansbookstore.com/book/9780843183498
(Quick side note: if your piano kid is a little Cartoon Network fan who watches Stephen Universe, I highly recommend this book that teaches you to play the music from the first season, and gives you tips on creating your own original songs.)

Now, one thing you should know about me, waltzes are kinda my jam. I made my dad learn to waltz for the father-daughter dance to Rainbow Connection at my wedding, and one of my absolute favorite pieces to play is the Merry Go Round of Life from Howl's Moving Castle, and then there's this waltz by Brahms that's one of my go-to's when I need to quickly decompress after a long day. There are a host of others, but you get the idea. So whenever I hear a new piece with that waltz pattern in triple meter, it's just a matter of time before I'm heading to the piano to play it. "Love Like You" was no exception.

So here it is! A little video of "Love Like You," the end credit theme from Stephen Universe composed by Rebecca Sugar. I threw together a quick recording of it while waiting for a couple of our Young Composers to arrive on recording day. Enjoy!  




Video was recorded using the front camera on my iPad (I know, not the best, but I was being spontaneous!), audio is a Yamaha p85 digital piano recorded through GarageBand. 

You can click here to find the sheet music for this particular arrangement (personal use only, please).